Friday, September 08, 2006

Bushisms

The following is offered for your consideration and entertainment.

First a caveat, I am a southern boy, I often intentionally use a slower more deliberate speech pattern when I want to make a point. I also make liberal use of colloquialism at times to pepper my conversations. These are effective tools I have found. Many ignorant people simply assume that they are in some way smarter than a person that remains true to the dialect of his home; particularly if that home is in the south. This method often provides a tactical advantage in debate. Plus, and more importantly, this is who and I and where I come from and I shall not hide it.

I have no grief with George Bush’s use of a particular dialect or way of speaking. I do have a problem with what he says and the image he attempts to portray. There is a tremendous disconnect between the man Bush portrays himself to be and the man his words display him to be.


"I've reminded the prime minister-the American people, Mr. Prime Minister, over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 29, 2006
ed note- indeed The United States (aka Federal Government) and America (the States and the People) have not and do not always have a close relationship. Mr. Bush spoke more truth here than he is possibly capable of knowing.


"People don't need to worry about security. This deal wouldn't go forward if we were concerned about the security for the United States of America." --George W. Bush, on the deal to hand over U.S. port security to a company operated by the United Arab Emirates, Washington, D.C., Feb. 23, 2006
ed note- no and most of the actions of the Federal Government over the last 20 odd years would not have occured either if there was real concern for security.


"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." --George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005 (Listen to audio)
ed note- how Orwellian ( here is a translation of a Bush newspeak speech).


"This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." --George W. Bush, Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005
ed note- more double-talk newspeak.


"I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'" --George W. Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, Aug. 13, 2004
ed note- this is often my reaction when Bush speaks.


"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000 (Listen to audio clip)
ed note- seems the ole boy has done a little more than just dream big dreams in this regard.


"I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy." --George W. Bush, Redwood, Calif., Sept. 27, 2000
ed note- reference the point above concerning wondering what the heck he just said.


"We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." --George W. Bush, Scranton, Pa., Sept. 6, 2000
ed note- this was obvious without Bush actually telling us his views.

;

No comments:

Post a Comment