Monday, November 05, 2007

Hawaiian Independence




I had a chance to day to visit with a friend involved with the Hawaiian Independence movement that I have communicated with for some time. I may totally disagree with much of the politics of the movement but my eyes were opened anew today. I was able to visit areas that most tourist never see - the places that real Hawaiians live and work. The millions of tourist dollars that flow into this land never reach the actual owners - the kanaka maoli.

The fact is Hawaii was annexed under dubious circumstances - the Kingdom of Hawaii never surrendered its sovereignty freely. If it were not for the meddling of a few pre-neocons the Kingdom would still be free today.

As I said, I may disagree with their politics, but the Hawaiian people deserve a chance to determine their own destiny. (Of course Hawaiians do not like the term "secession" because they make a solid case that they never joined the union de jure - I agree, but the concept of freedom is the same)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sir, we appreciate it. When I return from vacation I shall return the favor.

    ReplyDelete