Monday, December 11, 2006

Support the Good Blogs!

Y'all be sure to vote early and often for Joshua over at Western Confucian - he is a finalist for the 2006 Weblogs Award (Best Asian Blog).

Before I leave the Land of the Morning Calm, he and I will meet and have coffee - I declare it.

I like folks that I learn from. Joshua has encouraged me to learn many things and to explore a few things (not overtly but rather indirectly).

His blog is well worth the read (even a Baptist fellow like me can learn to appreciate the saints a wee bit) - but more than that he thinks based upon principles - and isn't that a rarity!

Blogging for me has been just that sort of experience - one of discovery. A couple years ago when I blogged heavily about Southern issues I was frustrated by the fact that I could attract so few readers/commenters. Perhaps it was just bad writing - but then there are plenty of bad writers getting heavy traffic. You probably cannot tell but I have been at this since 2002.

The blogshere is a lot like high school - folks gravitate to those that are like them. One very profound reason that I have never and will never attract a large readership is because there are not a lot of people like me in the world (well that and bad writing). The upside is that very rarely you do discover folks that share something with you - something of paramount importance: principles.

Folks that write what they believe at their core cannot long hide what is really inside of them. Blogging is a good thing in that way - a medium that opens possibilities and bridges connections previously impossible. In a small way it creates a connection with like minds that we might otherwise never experience.

Of course there is the downside - mindless minions following lock-step in ideological purity after "trend-setters". But that is a tale for another time.

Good luck Joshua - I will get up to Pohang someday and buy you a cup-o-joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment