Saturday, October 27, 2007

Setting The Record Straight

In case you come across comments I have left on other site or if you read my article about Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton and think I am deluded about the "politics" of the Scottish National Party - I am not. I know that the very reason nationalism resurfaced in Scotland, i.e. disdain for Thatcher's policies, has resulted in a Scotland that supports greater separation from Britain but closer ties with a unified Europe.

Personally I find this to be idiotic, to replace a tyrant a few hundred miles away with a larger tyranny just a few more miles distant makes no sense. Thomas Fleming has argued recently that secession is not such a good idea in many places that it is currently considered, in part because places like Scotland would simply replace the nation-state with multinational unions.

I disdain what Scotland has become - they simply took the enlightenment way to far. I will not abandon the idea of self-determination because some people would use self-determination to "determine" themselves out of liberty and freedom. I can at once support the notion of self-determination and oppose the idiotic ideas that may arise from it - separately and apart from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment