Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Come Down and Take it Down Yourself Big Man

The headline reads "Biden Wants Confederate Flag Off Grounds", the article is referring of course to the South Carolina Statehouse grounds.

My reaction - who in Hades cares what somebody from Delaware thinks about what is or is not on the statehouse grounds. I know of nobody in or from SC that is concerned with telling Delaware what they should or should not do.

You see, I full well realize that my home, my state, my country in effect, has a history that stretches back over 400 years. The period between 1861 and 1865 is but a flash in the pan compared to such a rich legacy. Four years cannot and do not define a people.

I realize something else, every time some trouble-maker tells us that we have to forget, and be sorry for ever daring to assert our independence the symbols of the period from 1861-1865 have a greater significance.

In our society it is perfectly ok to celebrate each and every culture; unless that culture is Southern. White Southern culture is viewed as backwards, oppressive and evil, black Southern culture is considered stupid and unenlightened - the smart blacks left the country for work in the cities don't you know (or so the folks in the urban 'dirty south' would tell you).

How can those that worship at the altar of multiculturalism sleep well at night - knowing full well they are nothing but hypocrites?

Biden's words were intended for the worst sorts of the polity - RASCIST. Defending one's culture and history is one thing - so long as that defense is based upon truth. Wrapping your entire identity into the color and tone of your skin is simply racism. The flag on the statehouse grounds belongs to all South Carolinians -black and white, for we all lost and suffered in that war. It represents our history, a shared history, and our proclivity to stand against others telling us what to do.

Biden aspires to be President of these united states and one of the first tactics he unveils is race-bating and catering to racist. The multiculturalist of the world should be ashamed of their silence. The folks I grew up with in SC, black and white, ought to be outraged.

Sins of the past are certainly something all cultures and people share - none of us are completely innocent of some historical wrongdoing. My question is, just who in hell is Joe Biden and Christopher Dodd and to tell South Carolina what is right and what is wrong?

The flag on the South Carolina Statehouse grounds does not stand for past oppression - it stands for resistance to other people trying to dictate and meddle in affairs that are not their own. It also represents fallen anscestors that stood up against oppression. I guess Biden and his ilk are just too stupid to actually understand that.

5 comments:

  1. "I know of nobody in or from SC that is concerned with telling Delaware what they should or should not do."

    Are you nuts!?! Telling others what to do is all you 'paleoconservatives' do! You tell us which God we must suffer under the oppression of, you tell us which races we must hate, you tell us who we can and can not sleep with, you tell us what we can (or more often, can not) do with our own bodies, you tell us who we have to go to war with and that we must not tolerate anyone who opens an 'unapproved' holy book in this nation - you even tell us which holy book must be used while being sworn into office. Hell, some of you even tell us how to spell Color (Colour)!

    Don't expect others to keep their laws off you until you keep your laws off us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You simply cannot put a label on me and paint me any color or colour you please.

    If you truly understood paleoconservative philosophy you would understand that true paleoconservatives are not so much concerned with telling everyone what to do as with standing true to history, tradition and culture.

    I have paleoconservative associates that happen to be Muslims. Paleoconservatism actually fits well with their brand of Islam - and I fully understand and support their position in relation to their own particular community and culture.

    Individual liberty is not supreme to the responsibility we all have to be good members of our own society and culture.

    You may sleep with anyone and anything you please, you may call any book you wish "holy" and you may spell and speak as you wish. My paleoconservative philosophy demands that I allow you that only insofar as it does not threaten my culture and so far as it is consistent with what has come before.

    Am I nuts? No, I merely realize that we stand on the shoulders on giants - I know we must learn from them. I do not presume that the mind of man is powerful enough to do away with centuries of tradition and social constraints all in the name of your liberty.

    Do what you will in your state, do not use the Federal government to advance your agenda or force unsavory nonsense on others.

    What you propose with your "do as you wish" ideology will result in a tyranny as oppressive as anything you fear from paleoconservatives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spoken.

    I find it difficult to disagree with most of what you said, so I won't. I wish more of your fellows stuck as closely to those tennents.

    I'm not from Delaware, but I am a libratarian. I don't hold much with traditionalism, but I can certainly live with it as long as it doesn't force itself on me.

    Cheers. RG

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a gentleman, I apologize for getting my dander up a bit in my last post. I appreciate your comments and the discussion.

    ReplyDelete