Sunday, January 07, 2007

Victory in Small Measures

My little county - Anderson, SC - and our new county council righted a wrong and reinstated our Blue-laws that the former council dumped a month ago. No more shopping at the Wal-Mart on Sundays. I wrote previously of my anger at the former council concerning their decision to eliminate our Blue Laws.

This is a significant step-forward in the preservation of our culture and traditions. Kudos to Ron Wilson and crew.

Why should I share this with you - folks that do not live in my county? Because I believe you ought to put my home in your radar and watch us over the next couple years. We have big things in mind to thwart the destruction of our culture. I only wish I were there and not here!

2 comments:

  1. "You guys..."?

    I doubt I can speak sufficiently for my partner here, but allow me to remind you of the fact that he's more paleocon than libertarian...and let me just remind you that government is best carried out in small doses. In other words, at the local level. This isn't Washington DC pronouncing a mandate from on high...just some local government doing what it's supposed to do. I highly doubt the Founding Fathers would have a problem with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed a paleocon – I always know that my views of local government risk offending my libertarian friends. However, we are talking about local government, not our common enemy – the 500 lbs gorilla. I view local government, being close to the people as key to preserving culture, freedom and rights. This is of course a point of contention between libertarians and paleocons.

    Let’s just agree to knock off the gorilla first and then we can disagree on the nature of the community.

    ReplyDelete