Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mr. Charlie Daniels

I had the privilege of shaking the hand of Mr. Charlie Daniels this evening. I may not agree with his politics, he is an America right or wrong sort of guy, but I cannot help but be inspired by him. This is not to mention the fact that still to this day he puts on a darn good concert, the man has energy. I can really only hope that when I hit his age that I have the stamina he exhibited tonight.

The second song he performed was "Proud to be a Rebel", some brave good ole boy even brought out a battle flag for the occasion (a sight one seldom sees on a military installation).

I can only say for myself that I sincerely appreciate folks like Mr. Daniels, and I specifically appreciate he and his band for their visit to my little part of the world here in Korea. He made me feel close to my real home and the real people that I love and miss.

  • Skins (best hotdogs in the entire world)
  • The little old ladies that insist you take an extra piece of chicken on your plate at Sunday dinner after church
  • The good ole boys that come out for the first dove shoot of the year; the old men at the barber shop
  • The sweet sound of the most beautiful of God's creations - GRITS (girls raised in the south) - good grief I love southern girls, must be why I am so in love with my wife
  • Hot summer nights; hotter summer days
  • The sound of well-trained Beagle dogs running a rabbit
  • Waving at the driver in the other lane (last time I checked this still occurs in some parts)
  • Shrimping with a cast-net
  • Bass fishing with my father (I dislike Bass fishing because I do not have the patience but I love my dad and this is the only time I can get him alone)
  • Little league (insert sport) it is just so much better in the South, my kids (and I) had a much better time when last we were fortunate enough to be stationed in the homeland
  • The Appalachian Trail - I will finish the entire thing some day
  • The Chatatooga River - need I elaborate?
  • Wednesday night suppers at Church - really what is wrong with the rest of the world?
  • Southern girls -I mentioned it above but just wanted to reiterate it again
This reminds me, Davis Mauldin has emailed me twice asking that I point folks over to I Love Dixie (darn good cartoon series) - so go take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment